Quick links
Who to contact in an emergency or if sleeping rough in the cold weather
Has this site helped you find the services you need? Please give us Feedback.
Find all the latest publications and research about homelessness on Homeless Pages.
Do you want to volunteer in a service for homeless people?

Young people aged 16-17

If you are aged 16-17 and you are homeless you would usually be classed as in priority need under homelessness legislation and be entitled to housing and support from the Housing Department of your local Council. Because of your age you may also be entitled to support from Social Services or the Social Work Department of the Council.

If you live with your family and but are currently having problems living with them please see Young people and family problems.

Getting Help

  • To find details of your local Housing Department or Social Services, select Housing Department or Social Services under Service and the relevant Area on Homeless UK's Services search.
  • There are many services that provide advice to young people about homelessness. To find details of these specialist homeless advice services, select Homelessness advice under Service, and select Young people under Person and the relevant Area on Homeless UK's Services search.
  • Contact Get Connected - a national helpline that can put young people in touch with local and national helping organisations for a wide range of issues.

More information

These websites give further information on your options and rights if you are aged 16-17: